Sunday, January 23, 2011

The simplest things


Winter riding. Every year pretty much everyone I know knows that you should be riding slowly. Truth is, those same people -along with myself- never relax enough to actually do it properly.
This year though, I've forced myself to slow down. Along with the obvious benefits of base fitness I can build on all year there have been some completely unforeseen outcomes.
The lack of obsession with getting it done has meant I've been able to do more exploring in the last month than I've done in the last five years. Dots have been joined and new loops present themselves with incredible regularity.
As the heart rate is kept low on the hills, you can raise your head from the stem and enjoy the views. Even the small, split second rolling vistas unfolding and disappearing before your eyes bring new appreciation of all too familiar lanes.
Do these rides in company and these are the truly social rides. Even the aforementioned climbs are taken at a pace steady enough not to break the conversational flow. Worlds are put to rights, holidays, racing and big summer rides discussed, planned and dreamt of; minds cleated; friendships consolidated and spirits raised higher than the single figure temperatures have any right to allow.
Why has it taken me too many years to discover this? It just goes to prove there is always so much to learn. Even in the least obviously inspirational season.
I just wish we could do it without needing to wash the bike every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment