Sunday, January 9, 2011

The train window

Sitting here, watching the slowly waking Sunday world of suburban Surrey come to life, it's as if the awakening matches my own re emergence - just in time to get excited about the classics.
Each year, post April, the interest wains. I love many other races, the 2010 giro was epic, almost daily but I don't think I'm alone in holding the northern classics very close to my heart.
My train arrives in eight minutes, from where ill meet a sorry bunch of riders, most of whom will not have ridden enough to make the subsequent 100 miles fly by. For that I am grateful, but today will be the kickstart we all need and many plans for the months ahead will be firmed up in the next five hours.
And right on cue, the sun peaks above the horizon.
Consider the hat doffed.

No comments:

Post a Comment